Wednesday, January 9, 2013

My GPS is trying to kill me

Don’t get me wrong. I love to travel. I love the feeling of being anonymous in a new city. I love discovering the little family restaurants and the parks tucked away in areas of town. However there are days I HATE the driving.

Now it might have something to do with the fact that I had driven 11 hours by myself with only a dog and the radio to keep me sane. But Friday when we got to Louisville I struggled… A LOT. All I wanted was dinner.

If only it were that simple

Normally I would say that a GPS is one of the greatest inventions ever. However Simon (the GPS) has been trying to kill me since we got to Louisville. When I plugged in the address to the restaurant I immediately noticed an unusual route appeared. Instead of taking me down the street and turning left across traffic at a light and directly to the restaurant. Simon had me touring the side streets. But what do I know? Maybe you can’t turn there and maybe the restaurant is tucked away somewhere…  

It’s not.

After I finally made my turn onto the side street I got the feeling something was wrong… I was literally going in a circle and the only thing around me were car dealerships. But what do I know I’d never been to the restaurant before so I kept going only to find myself in the wrong lane with no hope of getting into the correct one. So instead of causing trouble I turned right onto the main road figuring it would be easy enough to turn around at a light.

If only it were that simple.

The problem is that this area of town has four lanes of bumper to bumper traffic on a Friday night. After finally maneuvering my way in to the left lane (2 miles later) I turned at a light into the Olive Garden parking lot and turning around I promptly got stuck. It would have been easy if I had just needed to get back on the road in the right lane… but I didn’t.  I needed in the middle. Because the only option from the right lane was to get back interstate 64 heading toward Kansas. 

Long LONG story short… I blocked the intersection. Witnessed a few ‘what is this idiot doing’ looks and after sitting in a long line of cars, in the middle of the intersection, at the LONGEST RED LIGHT EVER finally got to pull forward and 10 minutes later into the restaurant.

Welcome to Louisville.

On a lighter note, if you ever find yourself in Louisville at US 64 and Hurstborne Parkway craving really good Indian Food, check out Shalimar…   

1 comment:

  1. Oh GPS in a new city...gotta love it. I'm proud of you for not giving up and just going into Olive Garden! I ate a Shalimar here....delicious!

    ReplyDelete