Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Choose NOW

For as long as I can remember church has been an intrigal part of my life. However finding a church is a challenge, especially one where you connect with people. I'll admit I haven't found that traveling yet but its a goal for my next assignment. While I've been here in Louisville I've done some searching. Which has been an experience in and of itself.
I've ended up at Southeast Christian Church and well its a little bigger than I'm used to. Like 20,000 people a weekend bigger. Its pretty much like going to church in a stadium or a huge theater. Honestly it makes taking the switch from Whitestone (300 members) to FMBC (800-1200 people a weekend) look fairly insignificant. Although it doesn't really feel that different from First. Maybe its like going from 2 to 3 kids, so chaotic you don't notice the difference.

Recently the teaching pastor has been doing a sermon series on what happens after you die. Sunday's activity was to think about who you want to make reservations to hang out with in Heaven.

I'm going to have coffee (or hot chocolate) with my big sister, go for a ride on a dinosaur with my friend Conner, take a long walk with Randy, spend an afternoon with Mother Theresa and ask Queen Ester what is was like to be her and know that she was made for just a time as this.

Tonight I spent a snowy evening at church for an event, Gods at War. Apparently it will soon be available on webcast and I highly recommend it. Didn't hurt that for King and Country was there doing the music. Good Music, great enviornment and some really great questions.

Gods at War, is a book written by the teaching pastor at Southeast, Kyle Idleman. I haven't read any of his stuff yet but I love listening to him preach. The book (and the evening) is about identifying the idols in our lives and how we fight them.  Here's some of the questions he asked. Hope they catch you as off guard as they caught me... go with your first response.

1. I am most disappointed with...
2. What do I complain about the most?
3. I would do anything for...
4. I'm worried that one day...
5. To feel better I...
6. It makes me mad when...
7. When I need direction I go to?
8. I'm really passionate about...

Those things... those are most likely the place that you put your hope and trust... those are idols. Kyle makes a point to point out that these aren't neccessarily bad things but if we put them ahead of God... well you get the idea. 

So here's the challenge we got and I'm passing it on to you. Decide who you're going to follow, decide NOW and then tomorrow when you get blindsided by life decide again, and the day after that, and the day after that.

No comments:

Post a Comment